Week 2. Day 5. March 5 2010.

Posted: Monday, March 8, 2010 | Posted by Cate Connors | Labels:

My last of the foundations classes. Andre was missing due to back injury so it was just me and my ultrafit Foundations compadre.  We went over the last of the movements -- solidified the push press and clean, then did ringdips and handstands. Both my ringdips and handstands were HEAVILY assisted - with a little balancing support I was able to jump up once and lock my elbows out to hold position, but that more or less wasted my puny arm muscles and I couldn't get back up. And let's not talk of trying to actually dip in ring position!

Handstands were a whole other ballgame. Brian was great and patient in getting me to spot a floorpoint, aim my hands up, and kick my legs up, and I got up into position with varying levels of success. I nearly faceplanted quite a few times as my arms gave out. This shouldn't be an issue if I can actually get my elbows locked and keep them there, but the moment I move them my arms are actually carrying my full load and just completely drop me on the floor.  This will get better.

I'm still pleased with myself for getting up and doing the handstands. Hurling yourself at the floor is psychologically massively uncomfortable.  It was great practice in the power of thinking. It wasn't positive thinking that did it -- no "It will be fine, they'll support you, it's just a handstand" -- but the complete ABSENCE of thought. I had to turn my brain off. Any time I did, I was ok. Any time I let myself think about it, I got flustered and ended up on the floor.

So, unsurprisingly, gymnastics are probably going to take the most work for me. The moves require a pretty good start strength PLUS power and balance and stamina, and I've got none of the above so far. But I'll get there.

We took so much longer than usual in training that it was time to leave by the time the WOD came around, and I was due to meet friends assuming the regular time.  I stood there for probably a full minute trying to justify being massively late to do the WOD but couldn't do it.  But we'd gotten in a heavy warmup and loads of practice by then, so I'm all right with that. I was still well exhausted!

Friday's class was followed by a wicked night out at Madam JoJo's in Soho. I've finally found a few places in London that play mostly soul and funk. The music was great, but so was the crowd -- none of the scenesterism you get in a lot of London music joints, didn't get hit on the whole time, etc. Everyone was just there to dance. Great stuff.

Friday nights are also home to the beatboxers -- fucking excellent!

FOOD: Not recorded for the day (or for the weekend, last weekend of freedom before going wheat/grain/dairy free!) but there was nothing outrageous, all pretty clean.  Salmon and edamame beans for lunch, prawns and rice noodles for dinner eaten quickly before going out, and my breakfast is always on.  I did have probably 3 double whiskies over the course of five or six hours, but there have been worse nights. Felt great Sat morning.

All in all a spot on day. New things, found a few jobs to apply for, worked hard and learned new things at Crossfit, and then partied hard with the friends. Wheee, weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment